Turkey Eggplant Black Bean Casserole (The Zone Diet) | dietplan-101.com
This easy-to-prepare, flavorful and nutritious casserole dish is great to be served as lunch or dinner, especially if you are on The Zone diet, with 4 Zone Blocks for each serving.
Eggplants (a.k.a. aubergines) are an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamins B1, B6, and potassium, as well as minerals such as copper, magnesium, and manganese. They are also rich in antioxidants, specifically nasunin which is found in their purple color skin.
Black beans are also prized for their high protein and fiber content, as well as a few key vitamins and minerals which are good for our health. Adding them to a casserole dish is one of the great ways to incorporate black beans into your diet. Make sure to wash and soak dried black beans for about 8 to 10 hours before cooking to reduce the cooking time. If you opt to use canned black beans, remember to drain and rinse them before cooking.
Yields: 2 servings (Each serving: 4 Zone Blocks)
- 1 1/2 tsps olive oil (4.5 F)
- 50 g onion (chopped) (0.5 C)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 190 g lean ground turkey breast (6.5 P, 1.5 F)
- 150 g eggplant (diced) (1 C)
- 115 g tomato (diced) (0.5 C)
- 150 g red bell pepper (diced) (1C)
- 1/2 cup (86 g) cooked black bean (2 C, 1P)
- 38 g seasoned dried bread crumbs (3 C)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 10 g grated Parmesan (0.5 P, 2 F)
- Preheat the oven to 355°F/180°C.
- Preheat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add in chopped onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened.
- Add in ground turkey and cook until lightly browned.
- Add in the eggplant, tomato, and bell pepper, and cook until heated through, stirring in between.
- Add in black bean, bread crumbs, and dried basil, and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a lightly coated 9″ x 5″ casserole dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, until the ingredients are tender.
- Remove the foil and top with grated cheese.
- Bake again at 390°F/200°C for 10 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.
- Let it stands for a few minutes before serving.