Baked Zucchini and Tomato with Mozzarella (South Beach Phase 1) | dietplan-101.com
Baked Zucchini and Tomato with Mozzarella is a South Beach Phase 1 recipe for the beginning of the program. This delicious side dish goes perfectly with chicken, fish, or pork. A high-nutrient, low-calorie way to enjoy your vegetables. Zucchini, tomato, and mozzarella are baked in a flavorful tomato sauce full of Italian herbs.
This recipe yields 5 servings
- 7 cups sliced zucchini (about 28 oz/790 g)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 medium tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
- 7 oz (200 g) grated Mozzarella
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet (without oil) over medium heat, then lightly cook the zucchini in batches. Set aside.
- Lightly brown diced onion, then add in tomato slices and chopped garlic and cook for a minute.
- Return zucchini to the skillet and mix well, then season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F/180°C.
- Transfer the mixed veggies to a large baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for another 12-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.