Picadillo Cubano (Cuban Ground Beef Dish) (for South Beach Phase 1)| dietplan101.com
This recipe for Picadillo Cubano (Cuban Ground Beef Dish) will give you all of the flavors without any guilt! Picadillo Cubano is a traditional Cuban dish that’s full of ground beef, onions, garlic, and olives. It’s usually served with white rice, but since we’re following the South Beach Diet here, we’ll be serving ours over zucchini noodles instead.
This recipe serves 4.
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tsps finely chopped garlic
- 1 lb (453 g) lean ground beef (92/8)
- 8 oz (226 g) boiled ham (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup red wine (ONLY for Phase 2)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives + 1 tbsp juice (cut into half)
- 1/2 tbsp seasoning blends (e.g. Accent, Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tbsp salt
- pepper (to taste)
- Preheat olive oil in a casserole over low heat.
- Add in chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in ground beef and ham, and cook until beef turns brown, about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly. Drain off excess fat.
- Add in red wine (for Phase 2), chopped tomatoes, stuffed olives, and juice, and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
- Season with seasoning blends, salt, and pepper, and serve hot.