Gluten-Free Orange Chiffon Cake | dietplan-101.com
Chiffon cake has a light and soft texture. To give a gluten-free chiffon cake this texture, a flour mix made up of white rice flour, cornstarch, and tapioca starch is used (check out our gluten-free light cake flour mix recipe). Other than the flour used, all steps for making this chiffon cake are the same as the normal ones.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- grated orange zest (of 3 oranges)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5.3 oz. (150 g) gluten-free light cake flour mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (100 g) fine granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 355°F/180°C.
- Whisk egg yolks, orange juice and zest, vegetable oil, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in flour and baking powder and whisk until you have a thick and smooth batter. Set aside.
- In another grease-free bowl, beat egg whites until foamy, then add in cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add in sugar gradually and continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form and the meringue is shiny.
- Add 1/4 of meringue to the batter and fold in gently so that you won’t deflate the air bubbles.
- Repeat the same for the remaining meringue, until you have a smooth batter with no large lumps of meringue remaining.
- Pour the batter into an UNGREASED 9-in (23-cm) tube pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, until the cake, is golden brown and springs back when touched.
- Remove from the oven immediately and INVERT the pan onto a wire rack.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan upside down before slicing.
- For unfinished portions, cover, and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.