Zucchini TVP Lasagna (The Zone diet) | dietplan-101.com
Lasagna that is low carb, gluten-free and vegan, made with layers of zucchini and TVP. This elegant dish can be served as a main course or appetizer.
TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein, a.k.a. textured soy protein, soy meat, or soya chunks) is a defatted soy flour product, which is usually used as a meat substitute (or vegan meat).
This recipe serves 2 and each serving is 4P, 4F, and 3C.
Check out our article to know more about the Zone Diet.
- 2 medium zucchini (cut lengthwise into 3 slices each)
- 3 tsps olive oil
- 6 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish onion
- 5 tbsps TVP* [or 1/2 cup veggie ground round]
- 1 cup low-fat spaghetti sauce
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- sweet basil, oregano, garlic (to taste)
- 1/3 cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup egg beaters
- 1/2 cup shredded 3-cheese blend
- 2 tbsps light parmesan
- Lightly brush zucchini slices with olive oil and broil for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Preheat the remaining olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms and chopped onion until the onion is softened.
- Add in the TVP (or veggie ground round) and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, and herbs, then heat the mixture thoroughly.
- Mix cottage cheese and egg beaters in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Put some sauce mixture at the bottom of a non-stick bread loaf pan, then top with 2 slices of zucchini.
- Top again with 1/3 sauce mixture, 1/3 cottage cheese mixture, and 1/3 shredded cheese.
- Repeat the same twice, then end with parmesan cheese on the top.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for half an hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it stands for 10 minutes covered with foil.
- Serve each serving with some salad (1C) to make it a 4-Zone Block meal.