Savory Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast (South Beach Phase 2) | dietplan-101.com
A juicy chicken breast stuffed with a sweet apple and feta filling, drizzled with gravy, and baked until tender. High in protein and low in fat and sodium, this is one dish you’ll find yourself making again and again.
This recipe serves 4.
- 4 skinless bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 green apple (Granny Smith, peeled & chopped)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage
- 2 tbsps + 4 tbsps chicken broth
- 4 slices of wholemeal/multigrain bread (process into breadcrumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Rub chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then arrange them (bone side up) in an oil-coated 9″ x 13″ baking pan.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and lightly coat it with cooking spray.
- Add in chopped onion, celery, apple, dried herbs, and 2 tablespoons of chicken broth.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until the ingredients start to soften. Remove from heat.
- Toss in breadcrumbs, and gradually adds in just enough of the remaining broth, until you have a moist stuffing.
- Mound the stuffing into each piece of chicken breast and then spray with cooking spray.
- Seal the baking pan with foil, then bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Discard the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is tender and the stuffing is lightly browned.
- Serve hot.