Low Carb Whole Grain Pie Crust (Atkins Diet Phase 3) | dietplan-101.com
Enjoy a delicious slice of pie with this Whole Grain Pie Crust. It’s lower in carbs and has no artificial ingredients! Great for use in pies, tarts, and other treats!
This recipe serves 8 with each serving 5.8 g net carbs.
- 1/3 cup (45 g) whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (28 g) soy flour
- 2 oz (57 g) vital wheat gluten flour
- 3 tbsps wheat bran
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsps unsalted butter (cold, 1/2″ diced)
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Process all ingredients (EXCEPT cold water) in a food processor until you have a mixture that resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add in the cold water and continue pulsing until a dough is formed.
- Wrap the dough ball with plastic, then flatten to 7-inch thick and keep in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cold dough with wheat gluten flour, then roll out between two plastic sheets to make a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer the flattened dough to a 9-inch pie plate, and press onto the sides and bottom of the plate. Remove the extra dough and chill for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F/205°C.
- Prick the cold pie crust with a fork, cover with foil, and then load with pie weights.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 16 minutes.
- Remove the weights, cover loosely with foil and bake for another 5-6 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool the baked pie crust on a rack for 15-20 minutes before using.