Low-Carb Low-Calorie Chocolate Gelato | dietplan-101.com
Gelato is the Italian word for ice cream. It is softer with a more elastic texture compare to normal ice cream. The homemade Gelato recipe is simple with only a few ingredients. You need an ice cream maker for this recipe.
This recipe yields 6 servings with each serving of 6.6 g net carbs and 84 calories.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsps + 5 tbsps granulated sweetener (or to taste)
- 2 cups (500 ml) of low-fat milk
- 3 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- Whisk together egg yolks in a bowl, then add in 2 tbsps. sweetener and beat until fluffy.
- Warm the milk to about 175°F/80°C, then whisk in the remaining sweetener and cocoa powder.
- Gradually add half of the warm milk mixture to the beaten egg yolks, keep whisking while adding.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat, and reduce heat to low when the mixture starts to thicken.
- Continue cooking until you have a slightly thick custard (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and hold the shape of a line when a finger is drawn through it).
- Remove from heat and strain into a container and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, refrigerate for 6-8 hours or freeze for 2 hours.
- Churn in an ice cream maker for about 30 minutes until you have smooth ice cream.
- Serve immediately as a soft serve ice cream. You may also freeze for a few hours for a firmer consistency. Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving.