Gluten-Free Basic Sponge Cake | dietplan-101.com
This simple sponge cake recipe uses either all-purpose flour or a blend of gluten-free flour. It’s perfect for cakes and cupcakes, and you can use it to create wedding cakes because it’s lighter than other types of sponges. Plus, unlike most gluten-free recipes, this one doesn’t require a binder such as a xanthan gum.
This recipe serves 12. and makes 2 (8″/20-cm) thin sponge cakes.
- 3 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 3/4 cup corn flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 355°F/180°C.
- Grease and line 2 sandwich pans (8″/20-cm).
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then beat in egg yolks.
- Add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak.
- Sift corn flour, baking powder, and salt, then fold lightly into the beaten eggs until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the pans equally and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans immediately and cool on a wire rack.
- When cooled, sandwich with jam or whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.