Portobello Mushroom Pita Sandwich (South Beach Phase 2) | dietplan101.com
This Portobello Mushroom Pita Sandwich is made with thinly sliced portobello mushrooms, spinach, and red bell pepper in an Italian Salad Dressing Mix. Fresh from the oven and served warm on whole wheat pita bread.,
This recipe serves 2.
- 2 Portobello mushrooms (cleaned & stemmed)
- 1 red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 4)
- 1/2 tbsp Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 4 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (10-oz/283-g) frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
- 2 whole wheat pocket-less pitas/flatbread
- 1/2 cup light shredded mozzarella
- olive oil cooking spray
- Arrange mushrooms and pepper on a baking pan and lightly coated with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with salad dressing mix and balsamic vinegar.
- Broil in a broiler for about 10 minutes, rotate the baking in between broiling to avoid burning. Remove from broiler when it is done.
- Preheat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a non-stick skillet, sauté garlic for a minute, then add in chopped spinach. Continue sauteing for about 5 minutes until hot.
- Put the pocket-less pitas on baking pan and lightly spray with with olive oil, then top with shredded cheese. Broil for about 2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Cut each pita into half.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread half of the spinach on a halved pita, then top with pepper and mushroom, and finally with the other half of the pita.