Homemade Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese with Milk Powder (South Beach Diet Phase 1) | dietplan-101.com
You can now enjoy fresh warm ricotta cheese whenever you want at home as making it is very easy with just a few simple ingredients.
This recipe yields: about 1/2 cup (3.5 oz/99 g).
- 1 2/3 cups (400 ml) warm water
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk powder
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsps salt
- Combine warm water and milk powder (which yields about 2 cups of milk) in a microwave-safe glass bowl and stir to mix well.
- Add in yogurt, vinegar, and salt, then mix until well combined.
- Heat up in the microwave oven over medium heat (600 W) until about 175°F/80°C, where the milk starts to curdle.
- Lightly stir the mixture using a ladle, then continue to heat up to 180°F/85°C, until the liquid becomes yellowish.
- Remove from the oven and strain through a colander lined with cheesecloth. Hold up the cloth and lightly squeeze out the whey.
- Serve it warm or use it in recipes with ricotta cheese.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days, if desired.