Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Ice-Cream | dietplan-101.com
You don’t have to say goodbye to ice cream even though you are allergic to milk or have lactose intolerance. You can easily make your own dairy-free ice cream at home using dairy-free dairy, in this recipe, pure coconut milk. Making it yourself is fun and you have better control over the sweetness of the ice cream. Since this ice cream is made using egg custard, it is much richer and tastes like the actual ice cream you’re used to. You will need an ice cream maker for the best result.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 tbsps powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 2 1/2 tsps cornstarch
- 13.5 fl. oz (400 ml) thick coconut milk
- 6.75 fl. oz (200 ml) water
- 5 tbsps fine granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Whisk egg yolks and powdered sugar in a bowl until fluffy, then add cornstarch and mix well.
- Combine coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Warm the coconut milk mixture over MEDIUM-LOW heat to about 175°F/80°C. (DON’T boil).
- Gradually add half of the warm coconut milk mixture to the beaten egg yolks, keep stirring while adding.
- Combine the egg yolk mixture with the remaining coconut milk mixture, then stir the mixture over MEDIUM-LOW heat.
- When the mixture starts to thicken, reduce heat to LOW and continue stirring until you have a slightly thick custard (which can coat the back of a spoon).
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, transfer the custard to a container and chill for a few hours or freeze for 2 hours.
- Churn in an ice cream maker for about 30 minutes until you have a smooth ice cream.
- Serve immediately as a soft serve ice cream. You may also freeze for 2-3 hours for a firmer consistency. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.